Sunday, March 22, 2009

Philosophy Blog

As a byzantine, I realize that Philosophy and Theology have not always gotten along together (Palamas v. Barlaam),and this has opened my mind to accept the possibility that theology does not need a philosophical system to operate (see Aquinas,neothomism,scholastics, etc)and has given me a fresh outlook on Philosophy since I find that theology is best left to be done in a way akin to the Church Fathers. This also is partly a result of constantly having to argue with several people at my school who believe that the Truths of Divine Revelation are accessible to Reason and that Philosophy and Theology are married in some inseparable way. I reject this notion as false. The Truths of Faith are not accessible to Reason, other wise Aristotle and Plato would have believed in a Triune God. I applaud Tertullian when he says "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem" and I answer him by saying that Athens only brings to the Theology terminology necessary to better define a teaching, but that this teaching exists independently of Philosophic thought. The Real Presence of Christ was true before the Scholastic theologians called it Transubstantiation.
Anyways, what's my point. The point is that I am entering into a secondary endeavor, to have a philosophy blog. Obviously there are many situations where there is serious overlap, and I won't shy away from the overlap when its necessary, but this blog is not the place to discuss how exactly causation works or the nature of time because such things are not part of Divine Revelation and there is no exact answer to them. Rather they are better left for philosophical discussion and inquiry. The blog will cover a wide variety of philosophical schools and hopefully represented as well by two of my friends whom are both Philosophy/Theology double majors like myself in order to provide and excellent overview and reflection on the topics at hand. Epistemology, metaphysics, and logic. Never fear though, this blog will not be abandoned in favor of this new blog.


http://diokomentinsophian.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Blessed Constantine XI

Blessed Constantine XI

Mar Isaac of Syria

Mar Isaac of Syria

St. Gregory Palamas

St. Gregory Palamas