Monday, March 3, 2008

Maronites

Since January, I have come to a startling conclusion. When I think theologically, I am thinking from an Eastern basis for some of my views. I realized that the emptiness of the Novus Ordo Mass was not just the NO, but the Tridentine Mass as well. I do not beleive I am a latin anymore theologically or liturgically. I am some kind of stange hybred between the two. So I decided I will rediscern Eastern Catholicism once again. Now I fully understand the implications of the Filioque so I have no reason to worry of being led astray by photian schismatics. At first I thought the Byzantine Liturgy at St. Basil's was where I should go. It is better there, but it is not home. I realized two sundays ago that the Maronites were where I felt most comfortable. This is not really new information, I had realized this over Christmas break as well when I would go there instead of my Latin Catholic parish. I had stopped attending the Maronite Qurbono at St. Elias' as much over last summer break because I thought I should reaquaint myself with St. Andrew's since I had avoided it for so long due to my SSPX schismatic mindset. Now that I am fully recovered from this SSPX mindset, I realize that the Maronite Church had grown on me immensely. What is the point of this blog post one may ask? Well I beleive that this is the start of a serious discernment as to whether I should become a maronite or remain a latin Catholic. I am not doing this to be a married priest. Especially since in the Maronite church, a married priest's ordination is pushed much further back then an unmarried cleric. No my motivation here is a serious look at whether or not I am indeed a Latin Catholic at heart, or a Maronite Catholic. This even makes my priestly, and religious discernment harder because you must wait five years after switching Ritual Churches to enter seminary in it. At best I am looking at 26 before I could even consider entering a seminary if that is what God is calling me to. Even then, Maronite priests must learn Arabic on top of Syriac.

And then, what am I to do if I feel called to serve as a Holy Land Franciscan or a Benedictine at BAC? Would I be forced to abandon the Liturgy of my potential Church? If thats the case then would I not be better just remaining a latin? So many questions and I do not really have a maronite pastor to even ask these questions to! Abuna Bart is a nice guy, but I barely know him, and Abuna Claude I do not know either. Abuna Rudolph is off in Pittsburgh now and perhaps does not even remeber who exactly I was. There is no easy access to the maronite vocations director, excluding phone or letters. I just need to trust that God will not lead me astray and that in the end, whatever I discern, that it will be His will guiding my safetly.

1 comment:

ACEGC said...

You scare me sometimes. I've been thinking the exact same thing lately, although I'm going more Byzantine than Syriac.

Blessed Constantine XI

Blessed Constantine XI

Mar Isaac of Syria

Mar Isaac of Syria

St. Gregory Palamas

St. Gregory Palamas